sweetie, darling...


Having an English father that moved to America 16 years ago has meant that throughout my life, my dad has gone out of his way to remind me that I am, in fact, half British and therefore should honor, or at the very least - be a teeny bit proud of my roots. Whether it's by the English candies he finds at Fairway, the supply of Little Britain DVDs we own, or the constant reminders that strawberry is pronounced "stroh-burry", raspberry is "rahs-burry", and aluminum is apparently "a-loo-MIN-yum", my dad has always made an effort to introduce some form of British lifestyle in our home. (I'm told that when I was two, I would pronounce battery the "right" way - "batree" as opposed to "battERy" but that moment of glory was short-lived.)

wee little me &; muh dad ~ :*


Now, before I left for Mallorca this summer, my family and I were channel surfing one night before bed. I was flipping up and passed Logo (the LGBT channel). My dad then excitedly told me to "hurry up and change it back" much to my surprise. I was expecting some show like Ru Paul's Drag Race to be on (which i would be totally down to watch whenever - it just doesn't necessarily strike me as a show that my dad would insist on watching with the fam...).  However, it was not Ru Paul's Drag Race, it was Absolutely Fabulous, and it. was. brilliant.



Connecting this to my previous mention of English culture, Absolutely Fabulous is an English sitcom that few people here know about. It was created by Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French (by the way - this show led me to find French and Saunders on YouTube - never laughed so hard in ma lyf). Jennifer Saunders (I just don't feel right properly referring to her in the rest of this post as "Saunders"... I don't know. I'd go for just "Jennifer" or "Jenny"...? too informal?) is also the writer of the show and stars as the main character Edina.

Jennifer Saunders et Dawn French as Madge Padge. 


I don't want to go into too much detail about the show because this isn't an essay about what I think is the greatest show in the entire world and I'm not even sure most of you would even read it. ANYWHO. Edina (mainly called "Eddy") is a two-time divorcée, successful PR agent with a "bitch troll from hell" daughter that is the parent figure in the show. Her bestest friend ever is Patsy (who's played by actress and former Bond girl, Joanna Lumley) - she's a magazine editor (thanks to sleeping with the publisher.....wut?) and a pill-popping drunkard who hasn't eaten since 1974 and bounces her age between 39 and 43. Basically er'thang I want to be when I'm old.

      She is everything.
                                                       
Put Eddy and Patsy togeths and you have two successful, middle-aged, stylishly challenged (welllllll, mostly Eddy..), eternally drunk and/or under the influence of some substance, fabulous and completely fucked up women.


It's absolute perfection.

The season ended a few years ago BUT they're filming three more episodes to be aired in 2012 (hallelujah!!).


No comments:

Post a Comment