...every cabbage has its pimp


This week, my theatre teacher asked a few of us to come in and read Act II of the script that we are doing as the winter play. The play was "The Madwoman of Chaillot, and I fell in love with it. It's a light play but managed to have a surprising  amount of depth to it. My teacher recited this beautiful monologue that a young waitress named Irma says at the end of the first act:

"I hate ugliness. I love beauty. I hate meanness. I adore kindness. It may not seem so grand to some to be a waitress in Paris. I love it. A waitress meets all sorts of people. She observes life. I hate to be alone. I love people. But I have never said I love you to a man. Men try to make me say it. They put their arms around me; I pretend I don’t see it. They pinch me; I pretend I don’t feel it. They kiss me; I pretend I don’t know it. They take me out in the evening and make me drink but I am careful, I never say it. If they don’t like it they can leave me alone. Because when I say I love you to him, he will know just by looking in my eyes that many have held me and pinched me and kissed me, but I have never said I love you to anyone in the world before. Never. No. (Looking at Pierre and whispers) I love you." 

What makes this monologue so heartbreakingly beautiful is that at the end when she whispers "I love you", she says it to an empty space next to her where Pierre had just been sitting a moment ago.

I finished watching the film version in which Katherine Hepburn does an incredible job portraying The Madwoman of Chaillot, Aurelia.



While walking into the Media Center at my school today, I passed a book on display about Marlene Dietrich. For some reason, there was a National LGBT something poster above the books on display and that sparked my remembrance that Marlene Dietrich was pretty liberal with her sexuality, which I find so great. During that time I actually researched Dietrich's sexuality and I came across this picture of Marlene and Édith Piaf smooching to find out the two were actually very good friends. "Very good friends" meaning that they were really very good friends (Marlene was Édith's maid of honor at her wedding) as well as the "very good friends" that are such good friends that they have been rumored to have had intimate relations...which are both totally rad.



Yesterday my dad and I were supposed to see The Man Who Fell to Earth at our local independent/art movie theater.  I was actually very much looking forward to it because my dad and I are really into Bowie. But then my dad (who has seen the movie before) told me that there are a lot of semi-inapropriate material in the movie. Because of that material, we decided against going to the movie together. I mean, I have no problem watching David Bowie in gay sex scenes, but they're not the nicest thing for a father and daughter to watch together. Later on in the night, we felt bad about not going and decided that we would buy it from Amazon because we figured that if we could sit through Brüno together - a movie with free flying penises every five minutes - we could watch this one together.




I also decided it would be important to let you guys know about a fantastic band that I got really into this week. They're called Local Natives and I somehow had their song "Airplanes" on my iTunes and decided to download their entire album - which is such a great album guys, seriously cannot recommend it enough.



Also, Lana Del Rey kicks ass, and so do her videos -



I 've also found myself to be much more dependent on coffee than any 16-year-old should be. I actually found my dependency to become an issue over the summer when I would get a headache in the afternoon if I didn't have a cappuccino in the morning... ANYWHO. I haven't gotten over my growing addiction and my mother has been so kind this week as to drive me to school and pick up Starbucks on the way which has been lovely. But it got me thinking that Starbucks should deliver. I mean especially with rehearsals after school when I can't leave the school, it'd be incredibly convenient. Oh, and what would also make it better is if there wasn't a goddamn $20 minimum on your order to get it delivered. Just a thought...

3 comments:

  1. cute post!

    Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog: hope you'll be my new follower!!

    kiss

    www.thecurlylady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post ;)
    I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!
    http://justbeyourselfff.blogspot.com/
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! i want to invite you to meet my blog! It all about fashion and inspiration for our outfits!

    I love to answer comments and i always follow back! = )


    kisses from La Mode En Rose = )

    www.lamodenrose.com

    ReplyDelete